Like everything else, skin ages. And while it is impossible to have perfectly young skin for the rest of your life, there are plenty of ways to mitigate the effects of aging and retain a smooth, beautiful complexion well into your golden years.
There are ways you can keep your skin healthy on your own, and there are also plenty of ways in which medical spas can improve skin health and reverse signs of aging.
Tips on How to Avoid Facial Wrinkles & Aging Skin
- Avoid the sun. This may seem like an obvious one, but it’s still worth mentioning. Sun exposure is one of the biggest culprits when it comes to premature aging and wrinkles. Make sure to wear sunscreen every day, even if you’re just going out for a walk, and stay in the shade as much as possible during peak hours. Avoiding too much sun exposure also helps prevent skin cancer.
- Eat a healthy diet. Eating nutritious foods is essential for keeping your skin looking its best. Make sure to include plenty of fruits, vegetables and whole grains in your diet, and avoid unhealthy processed foods and sugary drinks.
- Drink plenty of water. Another great way to keep your skin looking young and healthy is to drink plenty of water. Aim to drink at least eight 8oz glasses per day, and more if you’re active or live in a hot climate.
- Get enough sleep. Not getting enough sleep can cause your skin to look tired and aged. Make sure to get at least seven hours of sleep per night to keep your skin looking its best.
- Use a moisturizer. Keeping your skin hydrated is key if you want to prevent wrinkles. Using a good quality moisturizer is one of the best ways to achieve this. Look for a moisturizer that contains hyaluronic acid, which helps to plump up the skin and reduce the appearance of wrinkles.
- Use (high quality) anti-aging products. If you’re in the know as to what ingredients to look for in anti-aging skincare products, you’re on your way to better skin. Look for products with peptides, antioxidants and ceramides—all of which have been shown to help reduce the appearance of wrinkles and aging skin. Look for anti wrinkle creams that help with skin elasticity and stimulate collagen production.
- If out in the sun, apply sunscreen religiously. Sunscreen is your best friend when it comes to avoiding wrinkles and skin damage. Make sure to apply sunscreen if you’re going to be out in the sun for long periods of time. Choose a sunscreen that has an SPF of 30 or higher to get the best protection.
- Avoid smoking. Smoking causes premature aging and wrinkles around the mouth and eyes. If you smoke, try to quit as soon as possible in order to keep your skin looking young and healthy.
- Use a humidifier in the wintertime. The dry air from winter months can cause your skin to become dry and cracked. Using a humidifier in your home can help add moisture back into the air and prevent your skin from becoming too dry.
- Avoid excessive alcohol consumption. Drinking alcohol can dehydrate your skin and make it look older. Try to limit your alcohol intake if you want to keep your skin looking young and healthy.
Medical Spa Treatments That Can Reverse Aging Skin
Aside from the many preventative measures you can take to keep your skin looking young, there are also professional medical treatments you can get that can mitigate and reverse the effects of aging on the skin. Here are some of the most popular medical spa treatments that can help improve the appearance of aging skin:
Facial & Body Contouring
Facial and body contouring are treatments that use lasers and other energy-based technologies to tighten the skin. This treatment is great for people who have lost a significant amount of weight and are left with loose, saggy skin.
PCA chemical peels are highly effective methods of reversing the signs of aging skin. They work by removing the top layer of old and/or dead skin cells, which reveals new, healthy-looking skin underneath.
Don’t worry—there is little to no discomfort with chemical peels. In fact, many patients say that the peels leave their skin feeling softer and smoother.
Botox injections are one of the most popular treatments for reversing the signs of skin aging. Botox works via a neurotoxin to relax the muscles around the eyes, forehead and mouth. This can help to minimize the appearance of wrinkles and other signs of aging.
PDO Smooth Threads
PDO threading is a minimally invasive treatment that tightens and lifts the skin. PDO threads are made of a biodegradable material, so they are eventually absorbed by the body.
Once placed in the face, neck or body, these threads stimulate elastin and collagen production. This helps to improve the appearance of sagging skin, wrinkles and cellulite.
PRF Under Eye Treatment
Platelet Rich Fibrin (PRF) is a treatment that involves your body’s own platelets and growth factors. These work together to stimulate the production of collagen and elastin.
PRF is often used to improve the appearance of the skin around the eyes. It can help to reduce wrinkles, bags and dark circles.
Virtue Microneedling RF
Microneedling combines radio-frequency technology with all of the benefits of microneedling treatments. It can be used on your face, neck or body and works for any skin type.
Microneedling RF can help to improve the appearance of wrinkles, scars and stretch marks. It also helps to tighten loose skin and improve the overall tone and texture of your skin.
While wrinkles and other visible signs of aging in the skin are largely an unavoidable part of the natural aging process, there are many steps you can take to prevent fine wrinkles and lessen their impact, keeping your skin looking healthy and youthful.
By following some simple tips on how to avoid wrinkles and aging skin, you can help maintain the youthful appearance of your skin for years to come.